ADVERTISEMENT

Live from Big East Media Day

Matt Perrault

All American
May 24, 2009
Hello all from Creighton's first ever Big East Basketball Media Day. I will have a ton of stuff to post on the site throughout the next 48 hours ... the vast majority of it will be free. This will be a running blog from the event. Feel free to post questions and any thoughts on this thread throughout the day ... it's a quick event. It will be over by 12 central time.

First little bit of controversy ....

Here's the First Team preseason team:

Markel Starks G Georgetown
Davante Gardner F Marquette
Bryce Cotton G Providence
D'Angelo Harrison G St. John's
Semaj Christon G Xavier ...

Missing someone right???

The Preseason Player of the Year is Doug McDermott but he's not on the first team. Huh?

Big East preseaon Coaches' Poll prediction:

1. Marquette (5)
2. Georgetown (2)
3. Creighton (1)
4. Villanova
5. St. John's (2)
6. Providence
7. Xavier
8. Seton Hall
9. Butler
10. Depaul

I haven't seen a media poll yet. I'll post it if it comes out.
This post was edited on 10/16 7:35 AM by Matt Perrault

Big East Women's Coaches' Poll

1. Depaul (8)
2. Creighton (2)
3. St. John's
4. Villanova
5. Marquette
6. Georgetown
7. Butler
8. Providence
9. Xavier
10. Seton Hall

POY - Brittany Hrynko of Depaul

Marissa Janning of Creighton is on the All-Big East team.

Interesting that the preseason player of the year isn't on the first team all conference................Got to be the first time i've ever seen that.

This post was edited on 10/16 8:56 AM by Jays03

Maybe player of the year doesn't get put on a team for some reason. It is kind of wierd though. I noticed that right away too.

Very, very weird. I asked Doug about it - You will hear the answer once I can get all the audio posted.

Here's what's coming:

Gus Johnson
Bill Rafterty
SJU Coach Steve Lavin
Nova Coach Jay Wright
Marquette Coach Buzz Williams
Creighton Coach Mac
Doug McDermott
Grant Gibbs

Stay tuned for all the audio as I start to post on this thread

It doesn't mean anything. They did the same thing with the women. The women's POY isn't listed on the first team.

No doubt it doesn't mean anything since he is picked as the best player in the league. When a player wins National Player of the Year, are they 1st team All American?

Villanova Head Coach Jay Wright talks about why he wouldn't schedule Creighton before they were in the Missouri Valley. Cracks on Korver lol.

Also - I'll post my Doug, Grant and Coach Mac interviews later this afternoon. Stay tuned for those

Jay Wright

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT