ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Allen to Illinios

Banter Tim

All American
Staff
May 29, 2014
Creighton assistant Spencer Allen has been hired assistant head baseball coach at Illinois according to a twitter report by @Kendall RogersPG

Really going to miss Coach Allen. He did some really good things here at CU and can't think of a nicer guy. Also a great speaker. Best of luck at Illinois.

Now as the Jays look to replace him where do they go? I would like to see two things-1) a coach from down south to open up some recruiting doors 2) a guy with some hitting experience. We need more sticks up and down the line up.Sure talent is part of it but I think a coach who is great at teaching situational hitting is needed badly.
This post was edited on 7/25 4:51 PM by Banter Tim

Really going to miss him. Was a great guy to be around and has a great baseball mind. Great hire by Illinois. As far as replacing him, I wonder if any former Creighton Baseball players are on Ed's radar?

yeah a possibilty. Maybe Judkins moves up to top assistant. Always have to be careful about going for former players though Sometimes what makes everybody feel good isn't the best move for the program. Look at my pro team the Twins, they hired fan favorite Tom Brunansky as their hitting coach. Great guy , former Twin, fans love him. He has absolutely sucked as a hitting coach and needs to be fired. So while I'm sure there are many capable ex Jays out there and I'm sure some would do a great job --really need to get the right guy. Full confidence Ed will do that

This is not a good look for Creighton. Assistant baseball coaches should not be "moving up" to Illinois if we take baseball as seriously as we think we do.

Yeah, seriously....kind of looks back when someone leaves Creighton for Illinois for baseball. I haven't really researched but I doubt Illinois is good at baseball. I initially assumed this was for a HC spot. Maybe we aren't paying very well?

Originally posted by Jet915:
Yeah, seriously....kind of looks back when someone leaves Creighton for Illinois for baseball. I haven't really researched but I doubt Illinois is good at baseball. I initially assumed this was for a HC spot. Maybe we aren't paying very well?
Does it look even worse when the pitching coach leaves the Jays to work at StrikeZone? A former Jay makes a lateral move to Illinois which is on par with Creighton baseball and now the Lipari leaves for StrikeZone? Something is going on or the coaches are fed up with being underpaid.

Well the baseball news keeps coming. Brian Furlong, who last year was director of baseball operations for the Jays will take over for Tom Lipari as pitching coach. He will also be heavily involved with recruiting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT