ADVERTISEMENT

1620 the zone -- home of the Jays. Really?

tommymack

Redshirt Freshmen
Mar 19, 2009
I put my trust in Ras that the move from 590 to 1620 was a financial bonanza for Creighton. If not, we are getting hosed.
The Monday following a Creighton weekday basketball game is four hours of Husker football on "Unsportsmanlike Conduct.' Four hours milking the cow dry then milking it again. MikeL Severe has said this year (not the first time) he "hates" Creighton and despises the Jesuits because he went to a Christian Brothers School. He has boasted he will only go to a Creighton game if someone gives him tickets. And this is our ace in the hole? John Bishop is not much better. Sucking up to the NU crowd who can't get enough dribble on NU football, he joins the chorus - and he is our announcer? Case in point. If the Huskers and the Jays play at about the same time, "Overtime", a great recap of the Jays game, is pre-empted or cut short so we can go to "Big Red Over Reaction". What? If we give the rights to 1620, doesn't Creighton athletics come first? Three hours of pablum on KFAB isn't enough? MikeL Severe salivates over a Husker football two star recruit. I guarantee he could not name another coach on the Creighton bench besides Coach Mac but could tell you the name of practically everyone on the NU roster. Yes, we get minimal coverage thanks to Nick Bahe as well as Keith Gunderson and company on Mondays at 6. But isn't drive time supposed to be the time when you are going to get your largest audience? And Creighton's national ranking and our two time all american are elbowed out so we can rehash a lousy ballgame played by a mediocre team? Who isn't even close to being ranked? There is no way anyone on 590 would come out and say they hate Creighton. Heck, they give us more coverage than 1620 does -- and you don't lose their signal when you get to Missouri Valley. I don't know what kind of contract Ras signed. But I would ask our fine athletic director who has made all the right moves in the past to turn on 1620 on a Monday at 2 pm -- and tell me if anyone on this planet would associate the station as "home of the Jays."

Since I have listened to the pre-game show, Jays games, the post game show and the Bluejay Banter guys on 1620 in Washington DC and San Antonio Texas, yes, I believe 1620 to be the home of the Jays. I think in February I will listen to them in Napa. Almost Coast to Coast.

Who was that one guy on 590 that use to give the time of day? For some reason the name escapes me............Matt you know who that guy is?

happy.r191677.gif
... Thanks Wes. I don't think I should comment much on this topic. I have my opinion of 1620 and having the Jays is a big deal because 590's numbers just didn't make it a smart place for the Jays to stay once KMTV wasn't needed anymore. 590's management never followed the vision of the man who hired me - Steve Wexler - after Wex left for Milwaukee. Would have been fun to see what could have happened with CU if he had stuck around for a few more years.

1620 will always be Nebraska focused first ... and the money they make justifies their content.

This is an unusual year with the possible coaching change at Nebraska and all. I think during the Big East conference season we will get more Jays talk. Right now the coaching uncertainty is dominating the radio.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT