ADVERTISEMENT

Take your pick: Justin Carter vs. Nick Porter

Banter Danny

Redshirt Freshmen
Staff
May 29, 2014
By Heath Gunderson

This week's edition of "Take Your Pick" matches up two of Creighton's "bigger" guards: Nick Porter and Justin Carter. Both junior college transfers were two-year starters for the Jays.

Let's start with the 6-foot-4, 200-pound Justin Carter. Carter started 65 of 66 games for the Jays from 2008 through 2010. In his first season (2008-09), he became the first Creighton player in 11 years to start every game in his rookie year. He averaged 8.1 points per game and 5.5 rebounds. Who can forget his 15-rebound performance against Kentucky in the second round of the NIT? Creighton would finish 27-8 his junior year, just missing an NCAA Tournament berth.

During an exhibition game his senior season, Carter would suffer a partially torn MCL, but he still started 30 of 31 games. He went on to average 9.7 points per game and 6.5 rebounds during a disappointing 18-16 season that eventually ended in a CIT semifinal loss.

Porter - similar in size to Carter at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds - came to Creighton in 2004 from junior college as well. He used a medical redshirt while recovering from a knee injury during the 2004-05 season. The following year, his junior year, Porter was named the MVC newcomer of the year. He started 26 of 30 games and averaged 9.6 points per game and 4.9 rebounds. Creighton would go on to finish 20-10 overall that season and eventually fall to Miami in the NIT.

During Porter's senior year, he played 28 minutes per game and started 28 of the Jays' 33 games. Creighton would go 22-11 that season and lose to Nevada in overtime in the NCAA Tournament. He upped his averages to 10.7 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.

Obviously Porter played on much better teams and had more weapons around him with Nate Funk and Anthony Tolliver. Both Porter and Carter weren't known for their 3-point shots, but both were very good at getting to the basket and crashing the offensive boards. So which are you taking for your team?
This post was edited on 8/26 10:52 AM by Banter Heath

Re: Take your pick: Carter vs. Porter

I'm going to go with Porter. Statistically and physically they are very, very similar, and Carter probably had slightly better statistics, but Porter was a 2 while Carter was a 3 (or maybe even a 4 at times). However, I think Porter was a better player due to his ability to get his own shot in the lane in crunch time. I can't even remember how many times I saw him finish through contact or draw the foul in St. Louis...

So statistically Carter wins, but Porter probably gets more scoring chances on the same roster that Carter had so his stats may look a bit better. In the end, I would go with the big, physical 2 rather than the physical, but undersized 3.

Memory could be foggy but I never remember Porter playing the two. He was always a three although to be fair in Dana's offense those positions were often interchangeable.

I also give Nick a slight edge. Played on some better overall teams. To be fair a good part of Justin's career he played out of position. He was one hell of a rebounder for his size though.

As I said on the show, loved the way Nick used to get under Altman's skin. he really seemed to enjoy doing so.

I'm having a hard time picking one so i'm going to pick both of them.

Porter over short hair Carter
Long hair Carter over Porter

This post was edited on 8/27 9:30 AM by Jays03

Originally posted by Jays03:
I'm having a hard time picking one so i'm going to pick both of them.

Porter over short hair Carter
Long hair Carter over Porter

This post was edited on 8/27 9:30 AM by Jays03
This is a tough one, we've had a few people chime in on Twitter too and they have been split down the middle as well.

nick carter

751858fd563988b

So spoke to Manny Gakou and asked him to weigh in on this as he played a lot with both--of course more with Nick. He said he would take Justin over Nick in a close one. Didn't think Justin playing the four was so out of position as he said Justin did not have a good handle for the three. Thought Nick was the better slasher and in a surprise he thought Nick was the better rebounder.

By the way always fun to talk to Manny

I've taken some time contemplating this and I still can't decide who I would take. I think Nick could take over a game better than Justin. But, I believe Justin played a better 40 minutes. I want to take Nick just because he was in Altman's doghouse most of the time. I'm split, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT