ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Take your pick: McKinney vs. Dotzler

Banter Danny

Redshirt Freshmen
Staff
May 29, 2014
By Heath Gunderson

Take your pick this week breaks down two of the best point guards in Creighton history. Both Tyler McKinney and Josh Dotzler each had one of his seasons wrecked by a serious injury, and neither were big-time scorers, but both guys were great floor generals for the Jays.

Let's start with Tyler McKinney, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Urbandale, Iowa. McKinney averaged just 5.2 points per game for his career, but his value came in his ability to direct the Creighton offense. During his sophomore season, he dished out 141 assists, and after his injury-shortened junior year he bounced back with 184 assists his senior season. McKinney shot 70 percent from the free throw line in his career and 33 percent from 3-point range while starting 97 of the 110 games he played in as a Jay. For his career, he shot 41 percent from the field and always found a way to come up big in the clutch moment.

McKinney will certainly be remembered for being the point guard on some of the most successful Creighton teams in history and his ability to hit the big shot. As a freshman, McKinney went coast-to-coast for a layup at the buzzer to beat Wichita State. Later in the season, he nailed two free throws at the end of the game to lead the Jays to victory against Indiana State on the road. His sophomore year he made multiple clutch plays down the stretch to beat Notre Dame in the Guardians Classic Championship. In 2004, he hit game-winners in back-to-back games (Ohio State, Xavier) in November.

Josh Dotzler, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Omaha, had a very similar skill set and stat line as McKinney. For his career, Dotzler averaged 3.6 points per game, but he averaged 6.4 points per game as a freshman before his multiple knee injuries. Dotzler dished out 97 assists his freshman year before he got hurt, 118 his junior year and 121 his senior season, when he had only 35 turnovers. Dotzler shot 72 percent from the free throw line, 35 percent from the field and 28 percent from the 3-point line for his career. However, before he hurt his knee as a freshman, Dotzler did shoot an impressive 40 percent from long range.

Now what makes Dotzler different from McKinney was his defense. Dotzler was a lock-down defender and had 52 steals both his freshman and junior seasons. His senior season, Dotzler had 121 assists and 70 steals compared to those 35 turnover.

Neither of these great Creighton point guards was really asked to score. McKinney was a better shooter from the field and from 3-point range than Dotzler, but Dotzler was better defensively. So take your pick! Vote in the poll and let us know below who you voted for and why.

This post was edited on 11/3 2:59 PM by Banter Danny

Like I mentioned on the show, Dotzler before the knee injury would be my choice in a heartbeat. Neither guy was a lights out shooter. McKinney was great in the clutch but I'll take Dotzler's defensive ability against the opposing team's point guard all day.

Tyler ran the offense as well as anyone, but he was almost as much of an offensive liability as Dotzler. Teams would sag off him, daring him to shoot. Therefore, in my mind, I see Dotzler being an easy selection because of his defensive superiority. He caused a significantly higher number of empty trips for the opposition.

Two gaurds with very similar skill sets. I will take Mckinney to me he just had that knack of making the big play in clutch moments. I think that Tyler was the ultimate winner, he competed hard on both ends of the floor and I really think that if needed he could of been a guy that averaged 10 ppg but he knew his role was to run the offense and get guys easy looks. Both players were great at taking care of the basketball and had unfortunate injuries during their careers. Its really a shame that Dotzler was never able to reach his full potential because of his knee issues, but if i had to plck one of these two players to win one game I'd want Tyler running the show.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT