ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Take your pick: Kellen Miliner vs. Josh Jones

Banter Danny

Redshirt Freshmen
Staff
May 29, 2014
By Danny O'Byrne

Kellen Miliner came to Creighton in 2002 from Northern Oklahoma College, a union college in Enid, Okla., where he averaged 17 points per game.

His first season, when he was a sophomore, was Kyle Korver's senior year, and he played in 33 games off the bench for a team that won a school-record 29 games en route to a 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. In those 33 games, he averaged 3 points and a little more than 1 rebound while backing up Larry House and DeAnthony Bowden.

While he still came off the bench his junior year, Miliner upped his scoring average to 10 points per game and chipped in 2.5 rebounds and 1.4 assists. During conference play, his scoring average was bumped up to 11 points per game, which was second on the team against MVC foes. He also led the team with 50 3-pointers and shot 41 percent from behind the arc. While the Jays started 12-0, they faded down the stretch and missed the NCAA Tournament.

Miliner started 12 games his senior year and averaged 9.4 points per game, basically flat from the year before. His 58 3-pointers were second on the team behind Nate Funk. His most memorable moment came against Nebraska in Lincoln -- he hit a 3-pointer just before the buzzer to beat the Huskers. The Jays would ride Jimmy Motz to another MVC Tournament title in March and earn an NCAA Tournament bid, where they ultimately fell to West Virginia.

In his 96 career games, Miliner scored 704 points and snagged 199 rebounds.

Josh Jones redshirted during the 2008-09 season after joining the Jays from Omaha Central High School. In 2009-10, he showed rapid improvement as the year went on, and he started the team's final seven games. In total, he averaged 4.1 points and 1.1 rebounds per game. He also made 22 3-pointers at a 33 percent clip.

Jones inched his scoring average up in each of his next two years -- 5 points per game during his sophomore season and 5.2 points per game the following season. His junior season also coincided with the Jays' return to the NCAA Tournament after a four-year absence, and, while they were in good shape for an at-large bid had they not won the MVC Tournament, Jones made sure they didn't have to wait to find out. He drilled four 3-pointers in the team's semi-final win and had another nice performance in the Championship game against Illinois State, putting the final nail in the coffin with a breakaway dunk in overtime.

Surely on pace for a big senior year, Jones' career was cut a bit short after he collapsed before the Jays' Dec. 6 game at Nebraska. He gave Jays fans one final memorable performance, though, as he score 18 second-half points against UAB on Nov. 14, including 10 in a row after Creighton found itself trailing 45-35 in the second half.

In 108 career games, Josh Jones, scored 538 points and grabbed 151 rebounds.

Miliner was a key role player -- and at times go-to option -- on some great Creighton teams; Jones played a role in Creighton's resurgence and was poised for his biggest year yet before his heart condition sidelined him. So who you got? Vote and let us know why below.

I voted for Miliner but I think Jones was going to have a big senior year that could of put him over the top. Both solid role players that stepped up in some big games.

Milliner was a great role player for the Jays, but voted for JJ.

Josh epitomizes Creighton basketball - winning against the odds, never quitting on the team or himself, and more heart than the law allows...occasionally inconsistent but always giving 125%. When unable to play he became the biggest cheerleader - a Team player.

Josh Jones Is Creighton basketball.

This post was edited on 10/7 12:11 PM by gtmoBlue

This is a tough one, coming off the bench Josh provides more of a spark, is probbaly better defensively and was more of a leader. Josh was more prone to turn the ball over though, so I think I would go with Kellen because of his shooting, offensive consistency and his HUGE shot against Nebraska. This is really a tough call but I think Nick Bahe hit it right on the head last night on our show.

Probably the best take your pick yet. A real tough one. I'd go with Josh but give a close edge to Kellen--only because he hit a game winner to beat Nebraska--and well that's as good as it gets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT