ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Take your pick: DeAnthony Bowden vs. Jahenns Manigat

Banter Danny

Redshirt Freshmen
Staff
May 29, 2014
By Heath Gunderson

Our latest edition of "Take Your Pick" pits two former shooting guards against each other: Jahenns Manigat vs. DeAnthony Bowden. If you look at just stats, this matchup seems one-sided - Manigat played four seasons for the Jays and started his final 121 games as a Bluejay, while Bowden played only two years at Creighton after transferring from Jacksonville (Texas) Junior College. Going off the eye test, however, this is a pretty close matchup.

As a junior during the 2001-02 season, Bowden started the first 12 games at point guard before moving to a reserve shooting guard role. His first-year numbers don't jump off the page at you - 4.8 points and 2.5 rebounds per game - but he did hit the game-winning 3-pointer in Creighton's double-overtime win against No. 17 Western Kentucky. Bowden also earned a role as the team's top defensive stopper off the bench.

During his senior year, Bowden averaged 18.6 minutes off the bench and shot 45 percent from the field, scoring 6.7 points per game to go along with 74 assists on the season. He may have been a role player, but he was part of some of the most successful seasons in Creighton history. The Jays went 23-9 his junior year and had the last-second win against Florida in the NCAA Tournament's first round. His senior year, Creighton would go 29-5 with another NCAA Tournament appearance, though it resulted in a disappointing first-round loss to 11-seed Central Michigan.

Manigat of course played all four years for Creighton and ranks sixth in Creighton history with 206 3-pointers. He's a three-year captain for the Bluejays and turned himself into a pretty good defensive player by his senior year. For his career, Manigat averaged 6.2 points per game - slightly above Bowden's 5.8. One potentially overlooked Manigat state is that, during his senior year, he had 100 assists to only 25 turnovers. Manigat, like Bowden, also played on some very successful, historic Creighton teams and made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his final three seasons.

Both Bowden and Manigat were very good role players in their Creighton careers and had some similar skills. So cast your vote and let us know who you picked and why below.

Wow Bowden is up 7 to 5 in the polls. I think this is a very close matchup but I thought everyone would take Jahenns because he's more recent and a better 3-point shooter.

I would love to know why people are picking Bowden!

Both were great players but Bowden every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Think about it for a second. If you put Jahenns on that 2003 team, I don't think he would have seen the floor much. Bowden on the team for the past two years would have given us an entirely different look. His athleticism and quickness would have matched up well with other Big East guards. Jahenns had a great career 3-point percentage but how many of those shots came in big games? I can think of the MVC title game against Illinois State in 2012 but what else comes to mind? Part of that was the role he played, what the team needed and obviously Doug, but I'm not sure anything he did could not have been surpassed by DBo.
This post was edited on 9/18 1:46 PM by *Hunter*

When I saw Hunter posted I was very excited to come on here and start a fight with him. However I have to say I agree with him 100%. While I love Jahens, Bowden's quickness and defense would have been a huge plus over the last couple of seasons.

Only thing I have left for Hunter is this--did you go with the chicken or the catfish last night?

agree with the bowden pick - and that's coming from a huge JM fan

and - did you guys go to the surfside club?

dang that place is the best - catfish and corn fritters.

I honestly would take Jahenns. I like his 3-point shooting better, defensively it is pretty close. DeAnthony was a really good defender but Jahenns played very well defensively his senior year against Big East competition. What he did to Bryce Cotton on senior night was awesome. Lastly, I would take Jahenns on my team because of his leadership and attitude. Like I said, this is a very close matchup of two similar players but I'm going with Manigat.

I went with the fried chicken and I think I ate my weight in corn fritters.

cujaysfan - yes, I ran into tkjay at Surfside. What a lovely surprise to end my weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT