ADVERTISEMENT

Mock Selection Committee

Banter Tim

All American
Staff
May 29, 2014
I will be posting updates from the NCAA committee war room during the mock selection committee on this thread beginning Thursday afternoon and continuing Friday. Post any questions you want answered. Thankd

Here's Tim's updated seed list for at-large teams as he heads into the mock selection.

1 seed: Kentucky, Virginia, Duke, Gonzaga
2 seed: Wisconsin, Villanova, Kansas, Arizona
3 seed: Oklahoma, North Carolina, Louisville, Utah
4 seed: Iowa State, Notre Dame, Wichita State, Butler
5 seed: Baylor, UNI, VCU, West Virginia
6 seed: Providence, Oklahoma State, Georgetown, Arkansas
7 seed: Maryland, Cincinnati, Georgia, Ohio State
8 seed: SMU, Iowa, SDSU, Indiana
9 seed: Xavier, Colorado State, Michigan State, Ole Miss
10 seed: Stanford, Texas, Temple, Texas A+M
11 seed: Dayton, St Johns, Tulsa, LSU, Seton Hall
12 seed: Old Dominion, Illinois

First 4 out: Boise State, Purdue, UCLA, Miami
Next 4 out: UMass, GW, Oregon, Davidson

This post was edited on 2/12 11:06 AM by Banter Danny

We are underway--going thru introductions right now--Mike Tirico siting right across from me

Automatic qualifiers so far

North Florida, Coastal Carolina, Northeastern, Valpo, Yale, Iona, Wichita State, Bryant, Eastern Illinois, (Upset), Wofford, South Dakota State,

Going over conference reports now. Some thought we were too harsh on our Big 12 Locks. We only had 3, KU, Okla and Iowa State. It resulted in a lot of discussion. We were vindicated in the end--although Dave Worlock of the NCAA thought we were tough graders.

Frankly this conference report section seems to be a bit long and really not all that nessecary. If we have all done our homework we should know who locks are and who aren't. The first half and hour I really didn't need to be here. They basically went over elementary bracketing processes and how to read a Nitty Gritty report which I do everyday. So for most here I think it was helpful

We will soon submit our first ballot.

We currently have 37 teams in field--25 at larges and 12 automatic qualifiers. We are now going to stop with the selection and do some seeding. Expecting top 8 will be KY, KU, Nova, Ariz, Virg, Duke, Zaga, Wisc. We now will pick 4 to be our top seeds

Top seeds--

#1 seeds--1-Kentucky 2-Virginia 3-Duke 4-Wisconsin

#2 seeds--1-Gonzaga 2-Villanova 3-Kansas 4-Arizona

lots of discussion around Gonzaga and Wisconsin--and actually Nova got some love for a one as well. Great discussion around this--debate started with several people loving Gonzaga--I brought as well as they have played and how good the eye test is , They play against 160-250 RPI teams every night. In the end Wisky won out as they had injuries in their one loss

Getting ready to take a stab at seeding the four seeds.

Info on Omaha site. Spoke to Dave Worlock, head of this shebang. He said anything could happen but Wisconsin would probably come to Omaha if things stood as they do today

Ok guys things are done for the day so I can take sometime and cover the process.

So had a lot of questions on twitter about the process and how teams get selected. Let me explain.

We fill out a ballot where we can select any team in D-1. If you think they are a lock for the field you select AL for at large. If you don't think they are in but should be considered you choose C for under consideration. If AL is selected on at least 8 of the ten ballots (20 people in attendance and we are paired up in twos) they are in the field. If they are selected either a AL or a C on at least 3 ballots but don't make the 8 of 10, they are put on the under consideration board.

After the first process we had 17 teams automatically in the field. We then go to the under consideration board and choose 8 teams who we think should be in the field. The top 8 that are chosen are put on the board and we vote again selecting the teams 1-8. The top 4 that are chosen among the 10 ballots are into the field joining the 17. The four that didn't make it are put on the holding board. We then go back to the under consideration board and pick 8 more teams. The top four vote getters join the four that are on the holding board and we do the process again-ranking the teams 1-8. The top four vote getters are chosen and the process continues until the field is full.

During this process we stop and begin seeding. We take all the teams that are in the field and pick our top eight. Once that happens we follow the procedures as we did above and rank them. The top 4 in order is your number 1 seed line. This is done until the top 4 seeds are set. then we go back to filling the field.

Currently we have 32 teams in the field with 28 of them being seeded. Tomorrow's first order of business will be to add teams and then seed the field. We will then "scrub" the field and make sure the seeds are correct. Often times this moves seeded teams.

To show you where our minds were at let me talk about some of the discussion. The first big discussion revolved around Gonzaga and if they should be a number 1 seed. The discussion mainly focused on Wisconsin vs Gonzaga. My feeling was that most in the room felt Gonzaga should be a number 1 seed. I pointed out that all things about the Zags were true and the team was strong but that every night from now on they are playing teams in the 180 to 220 RPI range vs Wisky playing teams less than a 100 every night. I don't know how much influence I had but in the final vote Wisconsin was a #1 and Zaga a #2.

The next huge discussion was around Notre Dame. Many felt the Irish were being slighted by not getting a 3 seed. My partner and I felt strongly that ND's horrible non con SOS should be taken into consideration and that their whole body of work looked at. In the end ND was put on the 4 line.

The last big discussion was around Wichita. When we were getting ready to rank the 8 teams to move to the 4 line-Wichita was not one of them but UNI was. I lobbied to have Wichita included as I felt over all WSU was the stronger team. Also entering into this was that the NCAA crowned Wichita as winning the MVC post season tourney beating UNI in the final. To me that gave WSU the stronger resume. In the end neither made a 4 seed and currently UNI is the last 5 seed in and WSU is a 6. I will lobby hard in the scrubbing session to have both teams moved up.

Great day. Awesome experience. Its 1:30 in the morning and we have to start at 8:30 again tomorrow so I need to get some rest. Check back tomorrow and also on twitter @tkbrackets

Day two under way. We are going finish the field, wrap up the seeding and then go thru and "scrub" the field. After that we will bracket and be wrapped up by 3 pm

Check back later today. I will have a full recap of the entire experience in Indy. We will also post the final mock bracket,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT