ADVERTISEMENT

Buy or sell-Butler

Banter Tim

All American
Staff
May 29, 2014
Monday we will be kicking of a new feature here on this message board. It will be called buy or sell. ( yes totally ripped of from PTI). Watch for and respond on Monday morning.

Reactions: Gravin
Kicking off the buy or sell.

Last week on BJB radio show we previewed Butler (FYI this week we will preview national champion Villanova). Some experts have the Bulldogs seeded better than the Jays in bracket forecasts. Question--are you buying or selling Butler?

Personally I'm selling. I don't think they make the NCAA tourney. Loss of Dunham and Jones just too great.

I am selling on Butler as well. I know they have some interesting pieces coming in to replace Dunham and jones but it feels like too much has to go right for them to be as good as most people are predicting at this point. Also I'm not sure Tyler Lewis is going to be the savior some hope he is. That being said, I think they have a very good shot to be back in the NCAA mix next year once some of the new players have settled into their roles.

I'm for sure BUYING on Butler. Everyone is going to pick them at the bottom of the conference. They've got Kelan Martin, Tyler Wideman and Chrabascz back and add Kethan Savage from GW and graduate transfer Avery Woodson from Memphis. They're not going to win the conference by any means but I think they will be a top-5 team in the conference for sure and make the NCAA tourney. I'm a fan of Chris Holtmann.

Butler - SELL. Imho they will not make the top half of the conference standings, which is a prerequisite for dancing. Many of the media talking heads and 'experts' have Butler ranked AND with a reasonably high seed come March. I just don't see it - they lost their heart and soul players - and the guys returning don't put the fear of anyone in the oppositions' hearts.

They did bring in some new blood, but none of the newbies appear to be that impact guy needed to keep the Bullgog ship afloat. In fact, back in May on my post-draft predictions, i have them last in the BE.

That will not change come 15August16 with my 'official' ridiculously overly optimistic, unbelievably unrealistic, and incredibly preposterous annual predictions.

I think I agree with Heath - but I think we have to establish what the baseline is (easier for a stock price based on current valuation than a CBB team)

My baseline for BU is low (6-8 conf finish) - they could surpass that.

So, I'd buy.

I think I agree with Heath - but I think we have to establish what the baseline is (easier for a stock price based on current valuation than a CBB team)

My baseline for BU is low (6-8 conf finish) - they could surpass that.

So, I'd buy.

Right, I'm buying low on Butler because that's where I think the media will put them in the preseason Big East rankings.

Oh a lot of the media have them 4-6. So I don't see that. I have them a possible Wednesday play in team--fighting with Providence n Gtn.

Schmitty. Let's not over think this game. It's just a fun exercise:)

Oh a lot of the media have them 4-6. So I don't see that. I have them a possible Wednesday play in team--fighting with Providence n Gtn.

Schmitty. Let's not over think this game. It's just a fun exercise:)

not trying to overthink - but - it's an exercise that makes more sense if everyone is working from the same place.

so - either preseason media poll X is the position to buy/sell - or maybe last year's final standings.

if it is last season's final standings - then i'm selling Butler.

plus - someone has to be obstreperous with you, TK!

I don't know what to think. They have a lot of reasons that could push them into either category.

My selling on Butler is with what I have heard in the media thinking of them as the 4-5 team in the league. I think 6-7 is more realistic with all the new pieces. I think Chris Holtman is a good coach as well but I just think there's too many moving parts to sync up to make the tourney this year.

Can I buy now and then sell just before the conference season starts? - I think they will be a solid team and show well in the noncon...but once Big East play begins I think there is a chance they wither and land in the 6th or 7th place spot.
I also agree that they should be MUCH better next season.

They are only a few years since a 4-14 season and then Rosie Jones saved their bacon. Jones and Dunham gone will not result in a Top 5. Based on that being the Mendoza line in this thread I am selling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT