ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Big East

Banter Tim

All American
Staff
May 29, 2014
Several players left after last season in the Big East. And many newcomers were added. Is there a change in the balance of power in the Big East next season?

Most have three teams at the top-Villanova, odds on favorite to win the league, then Xavier and Creighton. Question is where do the others fall? Wondering about the bottom four--who would square off Wednesday night at the BE tournament.
IMO-we could see a change in teams at the bottom. I see the four at the bottom, in no particular order:

StJohns--I see improvement next year but not enough to get out of bottom four
Marquette-Losing Henry hurts a lot--if young guys come along quickly they could move up but...
Providence--Friars seem to reload but have lost a ton of talent over the last few years
Butler-Martin is one of the best players in the league. But losing Dunham and Jones seems to be too much to overcome.

The big "if" on this list is DePaul. With Cain and some other good young players I see them on the rise. Will it be enough to get out of the bottom four?

Several players left after last season in the Big East. And many newcomers were added. Is there a change in the balance of power in the Big East next season?

Most have three teams at the top-Villanova, odds on favorite to win the league, then Xavier and Creighton. Question is where do the others fall? Wondering about the bottom four--who would square off Wednesday night at the BE tournament.
IMO-we could see a change in teams at the bottom. I see the four at the bottom, in no particular order:

StJohns--I see improvement next year but not enough to get out of bottom four
Marquette-Losing Henry hurts a lot--if young guys come along quickly they could move up but...
Providence--Friars seem to reload but have lost a ton of talent over the last few years
Butler-Martin is one of the best players in the league. But losing Dunham and Jones seems to be too much to overcome.

The big "if" on this list is DePaul. With Cain and some other good young players I see them on the rise. Will it be enough to get out of the bottom four?

Personally I think St. John's, DePaul and Marquette will be the bottom three teams in the conference. I think very highly of Ed Cooley and Chris Holtmann but they both lose a lot of talent. I think Providence, Butler and Georgetown will be the next group that one of them will end up in the play in game.

I think the top 4 is fairly easy and Nova, X, the Jays and SH (Not necessarily in that order) should all be tournament teams - The bottom 4 is tough and could be any of the remaining 6. I think SJU clinches 10th (Though I suspect they will look somewhat better this season)
Under pressure I would go with Butler at 7, DePaul at 8, Marquette at 9...
I trust Cooley enough as a coach to believe he will keep the Friars out of the PIG and I HAVE to believe that Georgetown is talented enough to eke out a 6th place finish in spite of...other shortcomings.

2017? Did I black out during our NC run and wake up a year later?

i miss all the good stuff...

Reactions: Gravin
Jays still have question marks. I am confident Foster, Patton, Mintz, Krampelj and another year of experience for the rest > Groselle, Milli, Albert and Stewart by a lot but we'll see soon enough.

Go Jays!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT